1A territory under the jurisdiction of a count palatine.
- For centuries it was a palatinate under the jurisdiction of the bishop.
- The county was made palatinate under the Earl of Chester, a title that now belongs to the Prince of Wales.
- A rival duchy, the House of Bavaria, schemes to use him against the House of Baden to gain possession of the treasured ‘Baden palatinate.’
1.1 (the Palatinate) The territory of the German Empire ruled by the Count Palatine of the Rhine.
- For a pound and thirty pence I had acquired a territory greater in surface area than the Palatinate of the Rhine.
- Spain did aid the Catholics and the son of the Elector of the Palatinate (a Protestant) aided the Huguenots.
- One clause promised to buy off Conde's German mercenaries, led by John Casimir of the Palatinate, with a payment of 500,000 ecus.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pa¦lat¦in|ate
Definition of palatinate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.