- A meteorite consisting of roughly equal proportions of iron and olivine.More example sentences
- Meteorites from one subcategory, the pallasites, contain large crystals of the mineral olivine imbedded in a matrix of metal.
- It is the famous Pallassovo Zhelezo (Pallass's Iron) meteorite, which gave its name to the entire class of iron-stone meteorites known as pallasites.
- There is a fine observatory just west of Wichita, and a remarkable meteorite, classified as a pallasite, on display in Greensburg, Kansas.
mid 19th century: from the name of Peter S. Pallas (1741–1811), German naturalist, + -ite1.
More definitions of pallasiteDefinition of pallasite in:
- The US English dictionary