nounNorth American • informal
- 1A stupid, uncouth person; a lout: these bearded, stumbling palookas in their peasants' breechesMore example sentences
- Unless they're all palookas from the South Side, the writers come from leafy suburbs; and that loading zone behind the shopping center is not an alley.
- And frankly, a palooka Rollins is: covered head to toe with tattoos and belching metallic tales of power run amok and self-sufficiency.
- Maybe it's the only reason Neo's been hanging out with an old palooka like me.
- 1.1US • dated An inferior or average prizefighter: he was just another palooka trying to muscle in on the fight racketMore example sentences
- One boxer has plenty of pop, can hit bad pitches, and is a fun at-bat, while the other is your average palooka with a wood stick.
- Tyson was the palooka in his last fight, knocked out by Danny Williams in the fourth round last July 30.
- Relegated to fighting palookas in tiny towns, he was asked to tape a 10-second promotion for a local TV station in Florida.
1920s: of unknown origin.
More definitions of palookaDefinition of palooka in:
- The US English dictionary