1A tropical tree or shrub with a twisted and branched stem, stilt roots, spiral tufts of long, narrow spiny leaves, and fibrous edible fruit. Also called screw pine.
- Genus Pandanus, family Pandanaceae.
- In addition to twigs, the crows manufacture tools from long and barbed leaves of the pandanus tree.
- This rampart is now colonized by coconut palms, pandanus, and breadfruit trees, and I like to sit here in the late after-noons and watch the sea rolling ashore.
- An even smaller tropical island than Sipadan, Lankayan is covered with lush vegetation, including casuarina trees and the ubiquitous pandan screw pines.
1.1 [mass noun] Fibre from the leaves of the pandanus, often woven into a material for roofing, mats, etc.
- The entries reveal the use of a rich variety of media and materials including photomontage, ceramics, recycled wire, dugong bone, bronze, feathers, pandanus fibre, and works on paper, bark and canvas.
- A few houses of local materials, with pandanus thatch sides and thatched roofs, still exist.
- The whole village built of pandanus and grass looked as if it were about to founder in the sea of mud.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pan|da¦nus
Definition of pandanus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.