noun (plural same or panfishes)
A fish suitable for frying whole in a pan, especially one caught by an angler rather than bought.
- There is no benefit from hanging an entire shrimp off a hook when fishing for coastal panfish.
- Most panfish are found throughout the Florida mainland and the Florida Keys.
- There's much more to know, however, if your aim is higher than at a ragtag box of miscellaneous panfish.
verb[no object] (often as noun panfishing)
Fish for panfish: panfishing picks up considerably during the fall and spring
More example sentences
- Success in crappie or panfishing often depends on being able to detect the slightest movement of the bait or the lightest nibble.
- Game fishing, pan fishing and recreational boating are available on dozens of lakes accessible within 10 miles.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: pan|fish
Definition of panfish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.