- 1A basket, especially one of a pair carried by a beast of burden.More example sentences
- Large heavy items were either carried on primitive carts or dragged on sledges, and loose bulk materials were carried in panniers on horses.
- They sounded idyllic and I began to break one of the golden rules of donkey-driving - never feel sorry for the donkey - as I watched Anatole, the brave little trooper, struggling between his 40-pound panniers.
- Under direction, I tied the wet end to Anatole's saddle, having removed the panniers.
- 1.1Each of a pair of bags or boxes fitted on either side of the rear wheel of a bicycle or motorcycle.More example sentences
- The camera was transmitting to a video camera and receiver stashed in the pannier of a bicycle locked to a lamppost nearby.
- However, when I throw my rear panniers on and ride the bike at higher speeds, the bike will shimmy if I remove my hands from the bars.
- The factory workers, the cops, the carpenters, the plumbers, they all wheeled to work, tools protruding from voluminous canvas panniers.
- 2 • historical Part of a skirt looped up round the hips.More example sentences
- La Sylphide also popularized the white tutus, freeing the ballerinas from the bondage of stiffening panniers.
- In keeping with her subject she abandoned the ballerina's standard costume of voluminous skirts and panniers and appeared instead with her hair loose, wearing nothing but sandals and a simple muslin tunic.
- The leather seats gave a little spring underneath our panniers, and Emily hurried to settle her dress before it flew in her face.
- 2.1A frame supporting a pannier of a skirt.More example sentences
- It was hitched up to reveal an underskirt of a different color and with no hoops or panniers.
- In an undoubted nod to the skirt-extending panniers of Marie Antoinette's day, Eugénie wholeheartedly embraced the cage crinoline in 1855, thus sparking a fashion craze.
Middle English: from Old French panier, from Latin panarium 'bread basket', from panis 'bread'.
More definitions of pannierDefinition of pannier in:
- The US English dictionary