Definition of pansy in English:
noun (plural pansies)
1A cultivated variety of viola with brightly coloured flowers.
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae: several species and hybrids, in particular V. × wittrockiana
- Superb instant effects can be achieved by using semi-advanced seedlings of annual flowers such as lobelia, marigolds, pansies and primulas, which are all low-growing and suitable for containers.
- I plant pansies and violas, too, for color now and again in spring.
- Seed catalogues can usually be relied upon to indicate which pansies and violas are good for most if not all the winters we are likely to experience.
3South African A sand dollar with a flower-like purple marking on the shell.
- Echinodiscus bisperforatus, class Echinoidea
- GnRH immunoreactivity has also been identified in two anthozoan species: the sea pansy, Renilla koellikeri, and the sea anemone, Nematostella vectensis.
- In the sea pansy, Renilla koellikeri, serotonin can stimulate rhythmic muscular contraction and spawning, and melatonin can inhibit these contractions.
- The unusual ‘sea pansy,’ Renilla, has a primary polyp that is broad and flattened, with autozooids and siphonozooids on the upper surface.
Definition of pansy in:
- US English dictionary