- 1All the gods of a people or religion collectively: the deities of the Hindu pantheonMore example sentences
- This makes Hinduism unique in the sense that it is a monotheistic religion with a pantheon of manifested forms of God.
- Here in America, there is a growing acceptance of Islam and other non-western religions into the holy pantheon.
- It is directed to a pantheon of deities, gods and goddesses, each of whom are housed in their own shrine.
- 1.1(Especially in ancient Greece and Rome) a temple dedicated to all the gods.More example sentences
- The enormous building, called the Pantheon, was built as a temple to all the Roman gods almost 2,000 years ago.
- The Roman Pantheon is the most preserved and influential building of ancient Rome. It is a Roman temple dedicated to all the gods of pagan Rome.
- 2A group of famous or important people: the pantheon of the all-time greatsMore example sentences
- It is populated by a pantheon of upper-middle class aesthetes, running the full gamut from self-indulgence to self-pity, gold-digging doctors and junkie beggars.
- IN THE pantheon of rock family dynasties, one surely stands head and shoulders above the others.
- I have been accumulating bits and pieces of information on Skurt Doyle for many years, always conscious of his importance in the pantheon of local sporting legends of the past.
- 2.1A building in which the illustrious dead of a nation are buried or honoured.More example sentences
- This is a proposal to create an Aosdána-style pantheon to honour major artists - although even here there is confusion over whether this should be an initiative to help up-and-coming artists.
- Johnson reckons there should be a special place reserved for Nairn on any new national pantheon built after Scotland regains its proper statehood.
late Middle English (referring especially to the Pantheon, a large circular temple in Rome): via Latin from Greek pantheion, from pan 'all' + theion 'holy' (from theos 'god').
More definitions of pantheonDefinition of pantheon in:
- The US English dictionary