North American informal
Definition of pantywaist in English:
A feeble or effeminate man.
- He has devised the word ‘Guardianistas’, for the pantywaists (nervous nellies) who read this paper and have an occasional reservation about American foreign policy.
- Imagine my disgust at having to sit in the dark with ascot-wearing pantywaists who call the movies ‘cinema’ and smoke imported cigarettes.
- It's about sushi-gobbling pantywaists in the luxury boxes playing out their fantasies.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
Effeminate or feeble: the pantywaist musicians with their poodle haircuts
More example sentences
- Was it not enough that I had to endure 40 hours a week with them in desultory conversations about which books to ‘face out,’ in something defined by that pantywaist word, ‘chat’?
- ‘Did that set him off on one of his tirades about machismo, the Right Stuff, and pantywaist New Men?‘she asked scornfully.
- Her pantywaist father denies her nothing.
1930s: extended use of the term's literal sense 'child's garment consisting of panties attached to a bodice'.
Definition of pantywaist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan