Definition of papal in English:
Relating to a pope or to the papacy: a papal visit
More example sentences
- There the coffin will be definitively closed with red bands, sealed with both papal and Vatican seals.
- Ruffo was a Calabrian who had served in the papal curia but had found more favour at the Neapolitan court.
- Anglo-Saxon veneration of the papacy was strong and contributed to the growth of papal authority in the West.
- Example sentences
- Pundits also suggested that the teaching was bound to change, given the logic of the Second Vatican Council and the existence of a papally appointed commission on the regulation of fertility.
- The eleventh century witnessed a new Christian attitude toward war: that it could be divinely inspired, or at least papally commended, if not commanded.
- Bartholomew's presence at the controversial crowning of Henry the Young King is uncertain, but Becket asked that he should not be papally censured with others involved.