Definition of parabiosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
The anatomical joining of two individuals, especially artificially in physiological research.
- In this study, we demonstrated by parabiosis that type I alveolar epithelial cells and lung fibroblasts as well as interstitial monocytes/macrophages could be derived from circulating slem/progenitor cells.
- Mortality from the procedure was nil, and the health of animals after parabiosis was excellent, as is commonly observed.
- The effects of x-irradiation on bone growth were studied in pairs of rats during protracted parabiosis involving vascular anastomosis.
- Example sentences
- Culture of lung fibroblasts from wild-type mice of parabiotic pairs confirmed that 5 to 20% of lung fibreblasts could be derived from circulating blood, although such cells could not be cultured directly from blood.
- Abe and coworkers generated parabiotic mice by joining green fluorescent protein transgenic mice and wild-type littermates.
- The wild-type mice in parabiotic pairs that were given irradiation after vascular communication also maintained a common circulation (approximately 60% green ceils in blood) when assessed 2 weeks after irradiation.
Definition of parabiosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan