Definition of paraplegia in English:
Paralysis of the legs and lower body, typically caused by spinal injury or disease.
- A spinal injury leading to paraplegia or quadriplegia could lead to an insurance company paying out between €5 million and €7 million.
- Paralysis can involve all four extremities, a condition called quadriplegia or tetraplegia, or only the lower body, resulting in paraplegia.
- Injuries to the lower spinal cord could cause paraplegia while injuries to the upper level could cause quadriplegia - completely immobilising a patient.
paraplegic adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- One half of the 26 men were paraplegic, and one half were quadriplegic.
- A male paraplegic who had experienced several ulcers and surgeries described the importance of ongoing skin assessment.
- Have scientists discovered a panacea that will not only cure some of mankind's most debilitating illnesses but also get paraplegics walking again?
Definition of paraplegia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan