Definition of parastatal in English:
(Of an organization or industry, especially in some African countries) having some political authority and serving the state indirectly.
- While the exercise of privatising Zambia's parastatal industries has largely been a success, there are important lessons that make it imperative for Government to finalise the sale of the last batch of utility companies with caution.
- Many of the modern sector's private and parastatal industries have shut down, leaving only a handful of companies engaged in light industry…
- Admitting that Government had rushed the privatisation process of some parastatal companies in the country resulting in most of them closing down shortly after being sold, she said time had come to correct the mistake.
nounBack to top
A parastatal organization.
- Internally, the decision was widely supported by government organisations, parastatals and NGOs.
- Meanwhile more than 2,000 health workers, employed by two Kenyan Ministry of Health parastatals took strike action on February 9, to protest a delayed pay rise.
- She assured them that in light of the new guidelines for parastatals agreed by the government on November 23, she would instruct the hospital's board to pay them accordingly.
Definition of parastatal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia