Definition of parenteral in English:
Administered or occurring elsewhere in the body than the mouth and alimentary canal: parenteral nutrition Often contrasted with enteral.
More example sentences
- Total parenteral nutrition was administered preoperatively, and complications were monitored.
- Central venous catheters, often used to deliver parenteral nutrition to preterm infants, can act as a nidus for infection.
- The available clinical evidence leans heavily on parenteral therapy of inpatients with pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Example sentences
- The drug may be given orally, parenterally (intramuscular, intravenous), or rectally in addition to epidurally and intrathecally.
- They were randomised to two postoperative isoenergetic and isoprotein nutritional regimens given enterally or parenterally; the results have just been reported.
- Three weeks of antibiotic therapy, with at least the first week of therapy being administered parenterally, is required in the treatment of children with orbital cellulitis.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India