- 1 Anatomy & Biology Relating to or denoting the wall of the body or of a body cavity or hollow structure.More example sentences
- A large tumor was found that originated from the parietal pleura at the dorsal site.
- Metastases were present in the vertebral bodies, spleen, peritoneum, pleura, adrenal glands, visceral and parietal pericardium, and multiple lymph nodes.
- The frontals are fused medially and enclose the parietal foramen and anterior sagittal crest.
- 1.1Of the parietal lobe: the parietal cortexMore example sentences
- She skillfully uses patients suffering from neglect due to parietal lesions to explore a number of central questions in the study of spatial representations.
- Zapping the parietal cortex at the right moment with TMS can block processing downstream in the visual cortex.
- The posterior parietal cortex then sorts out bodily movements corresponding to the observed actions.
- 3 Archaeology Denoting prehistoric art found on rock walls.More example sentences
- It seems likely, therefore, that Archaic hunter-gatherers were the first to produce parietal art in southeastern caves and that its production may have related to economic activities like mining.
nounAnatomy & Zoology Back to top
- 1A parietal structure.More example sentences
- Two additional, albeit smaller, processes are present along the posterior emargination of the parietal.
- All species have two chloroplasts, one parietal in each of the two main plates.
- 1.1 short for parietal bone.More example sentences
- Together with the quadrates, the opisthotics and various dermal bones, such as the parietals and the squamosals, the bones of the occiput form the back of the skull.
- The supraoccipital contacts the parietals of the skull table dorsally and the exoccipitals ventrally.
- The postorbitofrontal forms its primary contact with the frontal rather than the parietal, and the supraoccipital is firmly attached to the ventral side of the parietal.
late Middle English: from late Latin parietalis, from Latin paries, pariet- 'wall'.
More definitions of parietalDefinition of parietal in:
- The US English dictionary