A progressive disease of the nervous system marked by tremor, muscular rigidity, and slow, imprecise movement, chiefly affecting middle-aged and elderly people. It is associated with degeneration of the basal ganglia of the brain and a deficiency of the neurotransmitter dopamine.
- Cells grown from stem cells could be used to treat a range of illnesses from Parkinson's disease and diabetes to heart disease.
- These types of drugs are used to slow the progression Parkinson's disease.
- Persistent sounds could be a symptom of a serious condition such as a brain tumor or Parkinson's disease.
- Example sentences
- Similarly, she is also seeking patients with Parkinsonian symptoms for the study, because Multiple System Atrophy often masquerades as Parkinson's.
- These transplanted cells were able to function as DA neurons and diminished Parkinsonian symptoms.
- They saw a dramatic difference in the behavior and physiology of the Parkinsonian rats treated with the GAD-carrying virus compared to the Parkinsonian rats that did not receive the treatment.
Late 19th century: named after James Parkinson (1755–1824), English surgeon.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Par|kin|son's dis|ease
Definition of Parkinson's disease in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.