- 1 (Parliament) (In the UK) the highest legislature, consisting of the Sovereign, the House of Lords, and the House of Commons: the Secretary of State will lay proposals before Parliament an Act of ParliamentMore example sentences
- If this does not occur, the next step is for the Parliament to have its second reading of the budget.
- The annual budget only comes into force once the President of the Parliament has signed it.
- The Parliament can request the Commission to draft legislation for debate in any area.
- 1.1The members of Parliament between one dissolution and the next: the act was passed by the last parliament of the reignMore example sentences
- I was delighted when we won the referendum and becoming a member of the parliament was the icing on the cake.
- Members of a corrupt parliament are ready to make deals with whomsoever has anything to offer.
- He has been a member of Parliament in five parliaments.
- 1.2A legislature similar to the UK Parliament in other nations and states: the Russian parliamentMore example sentences
- In practice the attention paid by national parliaments to EU market legislation is erratic and sporadic.
- On internal matters, it allows for more democratic control by the national parliaments and the European Parliament.
- Greater control by national parliaments and the European Parliament would represent a positive move.
Middle English: from Old French parlement 'speaking', from the verb parler.