Relating to, situated near, or affecting a parotid gland: the parotid duct
More example sentences
- The right parotid duct is grazed in this cut.
- Plain radiograph films may show air in the soft tissue and may even outline the course of the parotid duct.
- The patient should be examined for evidence of other causes of lower facial weakness such as intracranial or parotid lesions or Lyme disease.
short for parotid gland.
- In rare cases, mumps will attack other groups of salivary glands instead of the parotids.
- The parotids were firm, nontender, and enlarged, especially the left side obscuring the mandibular angle.
- Bilateral slow-growing enlargement of the parotids is a classic, but not common, finding in sarcoidosis.
Late 17th century: via Latin from Greek parōtis, parōtid-, from para- 'beside' + ous, ōt- 'ear'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: par|otid
Definition of parotid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.