- 1 (also parquet flooring) [mass noun] Flooring composed of wooden blocks arranged in a geometric pattern: do not lay parquet over old vinyl flooring [as modifier]: the intricate parquet floorsMore example sentences
- A dog-leg staircase which has the original wrought-iron railing leads to the first floor landing with herringbone parquet flooring.
- In the first floor offices oak parquet flooring and silver aluminium roof make a soothing, neutral interior.
- This includes money spent on fitting carpets, laying parquet flooring, installing new electrical lighting, fitting a new bathroom suite and installing a new kitchen.
- 2North American The ground floor of a theatre or auditorium, especially the orchestra pit.More example sentences
- However, the traditional faculty-staff seating - four sections in the parquet - remains, and most faculty will be seated there.
- Seen from the Parquet and illuminated by the skylight, a sculpture by Irène Whittome gives an atmosphere of relaxation.
late 17th century (as a verb): from French, literally 'small park (i.e. delineated area)'. The noun dates from the early 19th century.
More definitions of parquetDefinition of parquet in:
- The US English dictionary