Very unwilling to spend money or use resources: even the parsimonious Joe paid for drinks all round
More example sentences
- Some treatments produce more health gain than others, and some entail more parsimonious use of resources.
- Our approach is niggardly, grudging and parsimonious.
- Also, using graduate students to pursue industrial problems in a university is a cheap way for parsimonious companies to do research.
mean, miserly, niggardly, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheese-paring, ungenerous, penurious, illiberal, close, grasping, Scrooge-like, stinting, sparing, frugal
informal tight-fisted, stingy, tight, mingy, money-grubbing, skinflinty
North American informal cheap
British vulgar slang tight-arsed, tight as a duck's arse
- Example sentences
- There are some employers who use them responsibly and very parsimoniously and make a serious effort to hire domestic workers before they go abroad to hire.
- The idea that mediums might be obtaining anomalous information that can most simply and parsimoniously be explained in terms of the continuance of consciousness is presumed categorically to be false by Hyman until proven otherwise.
- Moreover, although in its first stage of development, the models parsimoniously unify our understanding of previously disconnected empirical data on human mating and generate a rich set of testable predictions.
- Example sentences
- Lots of people have called our response to the Tsunami ‘extraordinarily generous’ but its only really extraordinary when compared with the usual parsimoniousness on foreign aid.
- Hay puts the churchiness down to the type of people who wanted to get ahead, although the parsimoniousness of Hay the elder perhaps encouraged self-help.
- That was down to more than military parsimoniousness, he says.
Words that rhyme with parsimoniousacrimonious, antimonious, ceremonious, erroneous, euphonious, felonious, harmonious, Petronius, sanctimonious, Suetonius
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: par¦si|mo¦ni¦ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.