Definition of parthenogenesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
Reproduction from an ovum without fertilization, especially as a normal process in some invertebrates and lower plants: cyclic parthenogenesis is well displayed in aphids
More example sentences
- Reproductive modes include sexual reproduction and parthenogenesis, but much remains to be known about development.
- In asexual reproduction, eggs develop without fertilization, a process called parthenogenesis.
- This process is known as parthenogenesis, where unfertilized eggs develop into embryos without sperm.
- Example sentences
- Sexual reproduction in cyclically parthenogenetic rotifers results in the production of diapausing, fertilized eggs, which can survive for decades in sediment egg banks.
- The first hypothesis assumes that triploidy is associated with the origin of parthenogenesis and that both diploid and tetraploid parthenogenetic forms are derived.
- It reportedly reproduces exclusively by parthenogenetic female gametes and fragmentation.
- Example sentences
- In parthenogenetically reproducing populations, traits involved in sexual reproduction are no longer under selection and thus potentially subject to vestigialization.
- An alternative sexual reproductive mode is, for instance, arrhenotoky, where males are produced parthenogenetically and are haploid, whereas females are diploid and produced from fertilized eggs.
- In apomictic plants, embryos develop parthenogenetically (without fertilization) from unreduced somatic or gametophytic cells.
Definition of parthenogenesis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan