noun (plural same or partridges)
- A short-tailed game bird with mainly brown plumage, found chiefly in Europe and Asia.
More example sentences
- Family Phasianidae: several genera and many species, in particular the European grey partridge (Perdix perdix) and red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa)
- Raptors are known to prey on game species, such as quails, partridges, pheasants and rabbits.
- The ubiquitous starling is one of the most widespread problem species but blackbirds, partridges, robins, sparrows, thrushes, and finches are also common.
- For many years this bird was persecuted by game preservers who believed that it was detrimental to both pheasants and partridges.
Middle English partrich, from Old French pertriz, perdriz, from Latin perdix.
More definitions of partridgeDefinition of partridge in:
- The US English dictionary