1Having, showing, or caused by strong feelings or beliefs: passionate pleas for help he’s passionate about football
More example sentences
- Mr Merchant, 41, is passionate about football and gets a real kick out of seeing the children in his club succeed.
- They are so passionate about their football and it is beginning to show in the quality of the players.
- Most people who are passionate about football would say that, I think.
intense, impassioned, ardent, fervent, zealous, vehement, fiery, heated, feverish, emotional, heartfelt, eager, excited, animated, spirited, vigorous, strong, energetic, messianic, fanatical, frenzied, wild, fierce, consuming, violent, tumultuous, flaming, raging, burning, uncontrollable, ungovernable
rare perfervid, fervid, passional
very keen on, very enthusiastic about, addicted to, devoted to, infatuated with
informal mad about, crazy about, hooked on, nuts about, nutty about, gone on
North American informal nutso over
Australian/New Zealand informal shook on
excitable, emotional, intense, fiery, volatile, mercurial, quick-tempered, hot-headed, highly strung, hot-blooded, impulsive, temperamental, tempestuous, dramatic, melodramatic
1.1Arising from intense feelings of sexual love: a passionate kiss
More example sentences
- The focus of the narrative is on the life of an architect and a bank officer who get married after a passionate love affair.
- The pair escape to his rooftop garret and, free from the cares of the world, begin a passionate love affair.
- A passionate love affair ensues between the pair, which has doom written all over it.
amorous, ardent, hot-blooded, red-blooded, warm-blooded, aroused, loving, on fire, sexy, sensual, erotic, lustful, sultry, torrid
informal steamy, sizzling, hot, red-hot, turned on
- Example sentences
- In this sense, moral consciousness is fully compatible with the passionateness of being, and the exercise of the intellect joins each to each.
Late Middle English (also in the senses 'easily moved to passion' and 'enraged'): from medieval Latin passionatus 'full of passion', from passio (see passion).
Words that rhyme with passionatecompassionate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.