Definition of pastor in English:
1A minister in charge of a Christian church or congregation, especially in some non-episcopal churches.
- Christian priests, ministers, pastors, and deacons lead weekly services and conduct marriages and funerals.
- Were that to happen, it would require that bishops be more fully what they are ordained to be, pastors of local churches charged with the tasks of teaching, sanctifying, and governing.
- Unlike this bishop, church leaders, pastors and congregations need to create the opportunities for youth to discern their call to ministry.
verb[with object] Back to top
Be pastor of (a church or congregation): he pastored Peninsula Bible Church in Palo Alto [no object]: he continued to study law while pastoring in Chelsea
More example sentences
- I have never pastored large congregations nor preached to great numbers of people.
- Prior to this he had pastored churches in Gloucestershire and Bedfordshire.
- In large part, to talk about clergy deployment in the Episcopal church is to talk about pastoring congregations.
- Example sentences
- He persuaded the Catholic bishops to begin by publicly declaring that if the Donatists would take communion with them and unite, they would then invite their Donatist opposite numbers to share in the pastorate of each diocese.
- To my knowledge, I was the youngest woman in Southern Baptist life to be ordained into a church pastorate and one of only two female Baptist pastors in the state of Georgia.
- Two pastorates in New York State preceded the world-famous ministry he established in Neshaminy, Bucks County, north of Philadelphia.
- Example sentences
- Trying to decide to whom we would offer the pastorship was as close as I ever came to being a cardinal.
- He resigned his associate pastorship in 1989 and, with the help of an inheritance and some investments, earned an MBA in marketing at Portland State University.
- 1848 The Free Church of Scotland settlement is established at New Edinburgh, later Dunedin, New Zealand, under the pastorship of the reverend.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan