Definition of patella in English:
noun (plural patellae pəˈtɛliː)Anatomy
- The patella is the largest sesamoid bone in the body and provides increased mechanical advantage for knee extension.
- The joint is held in place by ligaments and covered at the front by the patella (kneecap).
- Tendons - these are tough bands that join the muscles of the upper and lower leg, and also hold the patella (knee cap) in place.
- Example sentences
- Physical examination revealed pale skin and mucous membranes, as well as bilaterally decreased patellar and Achilles tendon reflexes.
- The capsule also is reinforced in front by the patellar and quadriceps tendons and posteriorly by the popliteus and gastrocnemius muscles.
- The combined tendon of quadriceps attaches to the superior and medial borders of the patella, and in part in front and beyond the patella to join the patellar ligament.
Words that rhyme with patellaa cappella, Arabella, Bella, bestseller, Capella, cellar, Cinderella, citronella, Clarabella, corella, Daniela, Della, dispeller, dweller, Ella, expeller, favela, fella, fellah, feller, Fenella, Floella, foreteller, Heller, impeller, interstellar, Keller, Louella, Mandela, mortadella, mozzarella, Nigella, novella, paella, panatella, predella, propeller, queller, quinella, repeller, rosella, rubella, salmonella, Santiago de Compostela, seller, smeller, speller, Stella, stellar, tarantella, teller, umbrella, Viyella
Definition of patella in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.