Definition of patio in English:
noun (plural patios)
1A paved outdoor area adjoining a house: the dining room looks out to a small patio [as modifier]: a patio table and chairs
More example sentences
- There is a large paved patio at the back of the house.
- The gardens are fully landscaped and each house features a paved patio to the rear with privacy fencing.
- There is decking beside the house and a flagged stone patio area.
1.1A roofless inner courtyard in a Spanish or Spanish-American house.
- The long thin office wings enclose two hermetic internal courtyards or patios.
- The best way to see this place is to wander aimlessly through public areas, internal patios and courtyards.
- Accommodation is arranged to give a maximum effect of volume and light, using internal patios to create a stimulating interplay of interior and exterior space.
Early 19th century: from Spanish, denoting an inner courtyard.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.