Definition of patio in English:
noun (plural patios)
1A paved outdoor area adjoining a house: the dining room looks out to a small patio [as modifier]: a patio table and chairs
More example sentences
- There is a large paved patio at the back of the house.
- The gardens are fully landscaped and each house features a paved patio to the rear with privacy fencing.
- There is decking beside the house and a flagged stone patio area.
1.1A roofless inner courtyard in a Spanish or Spanish-American house.
- The long thin office wings enclose two hermetic internal courtyards or patios.
- The best way to see this place is to wander aimlessly through public areas, internal patios and courtyards.
- Accommodation is arranged to give a maximum effect of volume and light, using internal patios to create a stimulating interplay of interior and exterior space.
early 19th century: from Spanish, denoting an inner courtyard.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan