Relating to a pattern of marriage in which the couple settles in the husband’s home or community: the residence pattern is patrilocal Also called virilocal.
More example sentences
- This is suggestive of a patrilocal, exogamous marriage pattern consistent with documented historic Algonquian practices in the region.
- The domestic unit is generally an extended three-generation nuclear family; residence is usually patrilocal, with the husband's family.
- Rural communities were exogamous, patrilocal, and patriarchal, with newly married women subservient in the families of their husbands until they had borne sons.
- Example sentences
- Interestingly, a high level of polygyny and extreme patrilocality have been proposed as probable causes of the low Y-chromosome and high mtDNA diversity observed in West New Guinea populations.
- Patrilineality and patrilocality are more important among the western Enga, whereas multilocality is the norm for the Ipili.
- That idea was based on a common marriage practice called patrilocality, wherein women tended to move from their natal village to their husbands' village.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.