Definition of pawnbroker in English:
A person who lends money at interest on the security of an article pawned.
- Of course, it is clear that the pawnbroker made money out of the poor, but they provided a service where none existed and helped people out in the short term.
- My intention, though against the law, was to take it to the pawnbrokers in exchange for money so as to buy myself some more time before starving to death.
- The prize possession of a warm winter coat was taken down to the pawnbroker and left as security until the next wage came in.
- Example sentences
- You can, of course, take your job for granted if you work in the public sector, corporate recovery, pawnbroking, psychiatric care, litigation or medicine.
- Property is another main area, along with bookmaking and pawnbroking.
- But pawnbroking, cheque conversion and doorstep loans have been booming in recent years, feeding off poverty and inequality.
Definition of pawnbroker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan