A person who lends money at interest on the security of an article pawned.
- Of course, it is clear that the pawnbroker made money out of the poor, but they provided a service where none existed and helped people out in the short term.
- My intention, though against the law, was to take it to the pawnbrokers in exchange for money so as to buy myself some more time before starving to death.
- The prize possession of a warm winter coat was taken down to the pawnbroker and left as security until the next wage came in.
- Example sentences
- You can, of course, take your job for granted if you work in the public sector, corporate recovery, pawnbroking, psychiatric care, litigation or medicine.
- Property is another main area, along with bookmaking and pawnbroking.
- But pawnbroking, cheque conversion and doorstep loans have been booming in recent years, feeding off poverty and inequality.
Definition of pawnbroker in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.