- 1 another term for papaya.More example sentences
- If pawpaw is too highly priced people tend to go for something similar like rock melon which is much cheaper.
- As well as that, pawpaws have been commercially planted on Rarotonga for over 30 years.
- Ugandans grow some fruits, such as oranges, papaws, lemons, and pineapple, and these often serve as between-meal snacks.
- 2 (also pawpaw tree) A North American tree of the custard apple family, with purple flowers and edible oblong yellow fruit with sweet pulp.
More example sentences
- Asimina triloba, family Annonaceae
- So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.
- In a nearby field his tomb is a threshing floor bordered by pawpaw trees, sugar cane, sweet potato runners.
- The abundance of pawpaw trees, whose fruit tastes like banana custard, amplifies the tropical effect.
- 2.1The fruit of the pawpaw tree.More example sentences
- The true pawpaw, also known as a prairie banana (not to be confused with the tummy banana), is a fruit native to North America.
- All I remember being fed there is lychees and monkey-bananas, and cool slices of pawpaw.
early 17th century: from Spanish and Portuguese papaya, of Carib origin. The change in spelling is unexplained.
More definitions of pawpawDefinition of pawpaw in:
- The US English dictionary