Definition of pawpaw in English:
1 another term for papaya.
- If pawpaw is too highly priced people tend to go for something similar like rock melon which is much cheaper.
- As well as that, pawpaws have been commercially planted on Rarotonga for over 30 years.
- Ugandans grow some fruits, such as oranges, papaws, lemons, and pineapple, and these often serve as between-meal snacks.
2 (also pawpaw tree) A North American tree of the custard apple family, with purple flowers and edible oblong yellow fruit with sweet pulp.
- Asimina triloba, family Annonaceae
- So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.
- In a nearby field his tomb is a threshing floor bordered by pawpaw trees, sugar cane, sweet potato runners.
- The abundance of pawpaw trees, whose fruit tastes like banana custard, amplifies the tropical effect.
2.1The fruit of the pawpaw tree.
- The true pawpaw, also known as a prairie banana (not to be confused with the tummy banana), is a fruit native to North America.
- All I remember being fed there is lychees and monkey-bananas, and cool slices of pawpaw.
Definition of pawpaw in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan