Definition of payday in English:
1A day on which someone is paid their wages.
- Not only was it not a weekend night, but it wasn't near a pay day.
- If today's your pay day and you have a sudden craving for Cantonese food, why not go to the Grand Hyatt's Canton restaurant for a try?
- And because August 31 is going to be their last pay day until January, they don't half work hard!
1.1 informal An amount of money won or available to be won, especially in a sporting contest: the win landed him the biggest payday of his career—£20,000
More example sentences
- That could mean a big pay day, probably the last available to us this season, so we have to go for that.
- He started 4-7 in his first 11 when it appears his management was more interested in a pay day than furthering a career.
- He's been here a long time, and he knows the big pay day comes on Race Day.
Definition of payday in:
- US English dictionary