- 1 [mass noun] The action or process of paying someone or something or of being paid: ask for a discount for payment by cash [count noun]: three interest-free monthly paymentsMore example sentences
- Now imagine what kind of job you need to make that sort of monthly payment.
- It addresses the growing consumer desire to use electronic payment in place of cash.
- The first was a bill and the second was a demand for immediate payment in cash.
- 2An amount paid or payable: a compensation payment of £2500More example sentences
- If you are over 64, the total amount of the payment you receive will be reduced on a sliding scale.
- In addition to this, you can often reduce the tax payable by making a payment towards the cost of your car yourself.
- This is so, however large or small may be the amount of the payment.
- 2.1 [mass noun] Something given as a reward or in recompense for something done: a suit with a velvet collar that I got as payment for being in the showMore example sentencesSynonyms
late Middle English: from Old French paiement, from payer 'to pay'.