Definition of pear in English:
- Sweet juicy fruits such as pears, grapes, watermelon and mangoes both nourish and cleanse.
- Truthfully, I chose this because of the sides: sweet potatoes and pears.
- Fruits like apples, pears and grapes are good sources of boron, as are green leafy vegetables and whole grains.
- Genus Pyrus, family Rosaceae: several species and hybrids, in particular P. communis
- So I indicated that my goal henceforth was the space between two prongs of a garden fork, whereas his was the expanse between an apple tree and a pear tree in our fruity back garden.
- They blossom first, before the apples or the cherries or the pear tree - trees covered in white drifts of blossom that smell like honey.
- Mountain ashes, crabapple trees, and a pear tree provide fruit in season, while trumpet vines and such flowering perennials as penstemon and sage supply nectar that sustains hummingbirds.
A word adopted before the Anglo-Saxons arrived in England from the Latin pirum. The expression go pear-shaped, ‘to go wrong’, is from RAF slang. Although the first written examples are from the early 1980s, around the time of the Falklands War, it was probably in use several decades earlier. Some sources suggest that it may have arisen as a darkly humorous reference to the shape of a fighter plane after it has nose-dived and crashed into the ground. A more cheerful alternative theory is that it describes a novice pilot's less than successful attempts to produce a perfect circle when performing a loop in the air.
Words that rhyme with pearaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
Definition of pear in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.