1 [mass noun] A large absorbent moss which grows in dense masses on boggy ground, where the lower parts decay slowly to form peat deposits.
- Genus Sphagnum, family Sphagnaceae: many species
More example sentences
- Rotted cow manure, compost, shredded sphagnum, granulated peat moss, sawdust and ground corncobs are some materials that may be worked thoroughly into the soil.
- Look for one containing vermiculite and perlite, sphagnum peat moss, a little ground bark and sand.
- Whatever she uses to cover her newly planted seeds - sphagnum peat moss, compost or soil - can be applied with her flat sifter.
Definition of peat moss in:
- The US English dictionary