A smooth pinkish-brown nut with an edible kernel similar to a walnut.
- This nut is obtained from a hickory tree (Carya illinoensis, family Juglandaceae), native to the southern US
More example sentences
- Unroasted nuts such as almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts make an ideal snack food for would-be slimmers keen to get cracking.
- Half of those allergic to peanuts are also allergic to tree nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and often sunflower and sesame seeds.
- Tree nuts include walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, pine nuts, pistachios, and more.
late 18th century: from French pacane, from Illinois (an American Indian language).
Definition of pecan in:
- The US English dictionary