- 2 (also pedal point) A note sustained in one part (usually the bass) through successive harmonies, some of which are independent of it.More example sentences
- Might the sostenuto pedal be employed to play a pedal point so the left hand does not have to sustain it?
- Opening in a serene, almost mystical, manner, the work features a chain of sonorities that alternately rise and fall over a long pedal point in A-flat major.
- Its beautiful sound tapestry was created by a freely flowing association of textures such as polytonal chord clashes, rapid repeated notes, and pedal points.
More definitions of pedal noteDefinition of pedal note in:
- The US English dictionary