Definition of pedantic in English:
Excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous: his analyses are careful and even painstaking, but never pedantic
More example sentences
- I had the same middle parted haircut for eight years, and I was quite pedantic about this being perfect.
- For years, pedantic scholars have crowed about the debt rock owes the blues.
- Well you could say it's a deal of nitpicking by pedantic scientists over detail.
overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky;
informal nitpicking, pernickety
learned, cerebral, didactic, bookish, pedagogic, donnish, highbrow, ivory-tower, pretentious, pompous;
- Example sentences
- Kerry makes this last ridiculous point pedantically, as if it's at the very core of what really matters.
- So I'm watching the movie with the careful eye of one who knows the book and will be judging it pedantically.
- ‘Let me explain,’ continued Brian, almost pedantically.
Words that rhyme with pedanticantic, Atlantic, corybantic, frantic, geomantic, gigantic, mantic, necromantic, romantic, semantic, sycophantic, transatlantic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.