noun (plural pedicellariae /-rɪiː/)Zoology
- A defensive organ like a minute pincer present in large numbers on an echinoderm.More example sentences
- Some types of pedicellariae and specialized spines of urchins contain venom used in self-defense.
- Typically, these are tube feet, pedicellaria, and gills.
- Accessory ossicles are the spines, spinelets, granules, and pedicellariae that occur in abundance on most asteroids.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin pediculus 'small foot' (see pedicel).
More definitions of pedicellariaDefinition of pedicellaria in:
- The US English dictionary