Definition of peduncle in English:
1The stalk bearing a flower or fruit, or the main stalk of an inflorescence. Compare with pedicel.
- In angiosperms, trichomes may occur on leaves, petals, stems, petioles, peduncles and seed coats, depending on the species.
- The reddish colour of the depistillated flower and its peduncle is a response to high light intensities during anthesis and should not be interpreted to indicate senescence.
- Briefly, after harvesting, fruit peduncles were trimmed to uniform length with a scalpel, and each fruit was immediately placed in an autoclaved container with a nutrient solution.
1.1 Zoology A stalk-like part by which an organ is attached to an animal’s body, or by which a barnacle or other sedentary animal is attached to a substrate.
- The twisting action allows the animal to use the flukes in conjunction with the peduncle as a rudder.
- In addition to the tentacles, these extremities include the hypostome, the lower peduncle, which is committed to foot formation, and the foot.
- The body of the fish is measured from the tip of the mouth to the caudal peduncle (end of the body wall muscle).
- Example sentences
- Overall, the ovules in the most peduncular / basal positions within the ovary are less likely to be fertilized than those in the most stylar/distal positions.
- Thus, the peduncular vertebrae form a rigid bar, interposed between two relatively flexible joints.
Words that rhyme with peduncleuncle
Definition of peduncle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan