- The northern lapwing.More example sentences
- Lapwings, also known as peewits due to their distinctive call, have white and greeny-black plumage topped by an elegant crest.
- But on an evening like this at Hadrian's Wall, in the soft rain and with the cuckoo and the peewit for company, the wild and empty landscape forces a revision of my historical imagination.
- She said the lapwing (or peewit) is also under pressure with its numbers being reduced by 40 per cent over the past 40 years.
early 16th century: imitative of the bird's call.
More definitions of peewitDefinition of peewit in:
- The US English dictionary