noun (plural same)
A lapdog of a short-legged breed with long hair and a snub nose, originally brought to Europe from the Summer Palace at Beijing (Peking) in 1860.
- Another theory is that the Tibetan Spaniel was bred with the Pekingese to create predecessors of the Shih Tzu.
- The Pekingese exists as a breed at least from the period of A.D. 700.
- It is the Shih Tzu's unique head and expression that actually distinguishes the breed from two other related Oriental breeds, the Lhasa Apso and the Pekingese.
Relating to Beijing, its citizens, or their culture or cuisine: Cantonese and Pekinese recipes
More example sentences
- The unassuming restaurant has been quietly offering Szechuan and Pekinese food tasty enough to rival some of Chinatown's best for some years now.
- Her Pekingese dog was perched happily on her lap.
- So girls, next time you are crammed into economy seats, not big enough for a Pekinese dog, you know what to do.
Words that rhyme with PekineseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Pekinese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.