A tender shrubby plant which is widely cultivated for its red, pink, or white flowers. Some kinds have fragrant leaves which yield an essential oil. See also geranium.
- Genus Pelargonium, family Geraniaceae: many species and several hybrid groups, including the zonal pelargoniums (P. × hortorum), with rounded leaves bearing coloured zones, and the trailing ivy-leaved pelargoniums (P. peltatum)
More example sentences
- I love plants in season - old roses are a summer favourite - and I've got delphiniums, pelargoniums, agapanthus, tulips, silver birch, to name a few.
- It looks good with hot pink pelargoniums and impatiens, and white nemesia to cool down the arrangement.
- I don't mean the common sort of bedding where dwarf box is used to make lettering and patterns are made of conventional bedding plants like begonias and pelargoniums.
modern Latin, from Greek pelargos 'stork', apparently on the pattern of geranium (based on Greek geranos 'crane').
Definition of pelargonium in:
- The US English dictionary