A large gregarious waterbird with a long bill, an extensible throat pouch for scooping up fish, and mainly white or grey plumage.
- Family Pelecanidae and genus Pelecanus: several species
More example sentences
- Most of the postcranial elements belong to continental waterbirds, including pelicans, anhingas, herons, storks, ducks, and rails.
- Millions of birds - ducks, geese, pelicans, shore birds - use the sea each year.
- Black swans, pelicans, white faced heron and mullet jumping out of the water were some of the attractions that were snapped by the budding photographers.
Definition of pelican in:
- The US English dictionary