- A large gregarious waterbird with a long bill, an extensible throat pouch for scooping up fish, and mainly white or grey plumage.
More example sentences
- Family Pelecanidae and genus Pelecanus: several species
- Most of the postcranial elements belong to continental waterbirds, including pelicans, anhingas, herons, storks, ducks, and rails.
- Millions of birds - ducks, geese, pelicans, shore birds - use the sea each year.
- Black swans, pelicans, white faced heron and mullet jumping out of the water were some of the attractions that were snapped by the budding photographers.
late Old English pellicane, via late Latin from Greek pelekan, probably based on pelekus 'axe' (with reference to its bill).
More definitions of pelicanDefinition of pelican in:
- The US English dictionary