Definition of pelisse in English:
1A woman’s ankle-length cloak with armholes or sleeves.
- This pelisse is made of a soft twilled silk called 'sarsenet' (often mentioned by Jane Austen in novels and letters of the same period).
- This pelisse is of pale blue is trimmed with bands of satin and satin buttons, roses, and rouleaux.
- In his dreams she wore a blue satin frock with a burgundy shawl, or a pink silk pelisse, or a white crinoline.
1.1A fur-lined cloak, especially as part of a hussar’s uniform.
- Two years earlier he had been portrayed in a miniature wearing a pelisse.
- Several pews ahead was the Lady in a grey pelisse and plain grey wide-brim hat.
- Looking down at herself, she realized that with her black pelisse, it was impossible to discern whether the coat was merely overly voluminous or if the dress beneath it was actually black as well.
Words that rhyme with pelisseanis, apiece, Berenice, caprice, cassis, cease, coulisse, crease, Dumfries, fils, fleece, geese, grease, Greece, kris, lease, Lucrece, MacNeice, Matisse, McAleese, Nice, niece, obese, peace, police, Rees, Rhys, set piece, sublease, surcease, two-piece, underlease
Definition of pelisse in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.