- The rectangular area marked out in front of each goal, within which a foul by a defender involves the award of a penalty kick and outside which the goalkeeper is not allowed to handle the ball.More example sentences
- A free-out is a free-kick awarded to the defending team in their own penalty area.
- Now then, Croatia have a free-kick just outside the left edge of the penalty area.
- It's time for the ref to do something ludicrous and give a penalty, even if the ball is nowhere near the penalty area.
More definitions of penalty areaDefinition of penalty area in:
- The US English dictionary