Definition of penalty kick in English:
1 Soccer A free kick at the goal from the penalty spot (which only the goalkeeper is allowed to defend), awarded to the attacking team after a foul within the penalty area by an opponent.
- Well, in the space of 132 seconds of extra time, France converted on a free kick to tie and then took advantage of a foul to score the winning goal on a penalty kick.
- Another solution might be to award a penalty kick against a player found guilty of swearing at an official in the way that free throws are awarded in basketball for such offences.
- Images of him taking his shirt off in the final game have been more widely published and acclaimed than pictures of his penalty kick against Argentina.
2 Rugby A place kick awarded to a team after an offence by an opponent.
- Dundee striker blew a great chance to level when he saw his penalty kick saved.
- Of course, if the sending-off offence would also lead to a penalty kick, then committing the offence is almost never justifiable.
- Then 20 minutes after good play by the visiting backs and forward the scrumhalf equalised the score with a penalty kick.
Definition of penalty kick in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan