Definition of penance in English:
1Punishment inflicted on oneself as an outward expression of repentance for wrongdoing: he had done public penance for those hasty words
More example sentences
- Ignorant and wicked are the doings of those priests who, in the case of the dying, reserve canonical penances for purgatory.
- In the bitter cold of winter, the yogi undertook various penances which, it was said, gave him great powers.
- Speaking of which, will the guidelines for penances have to be re-written?
2A sacrament in which a member of the Church confesses sins to a priest and is given absolution. In the Roman Catholic Church often called sacrament of reconciliation.
- The penitent then leaves the confessional and goes and prays his penance in the church.
- In the fragile and apocalyptic early church, penance was conceived as a public reconciliation, necessary to the very existence of the congregation.
- This ritual of confession, absolution and penance inadvertently hides as much as it discloses.
2.1A religious observance or other duty required of a person by a priest as part of this sacrament to indicate repentance.
- They extended to religious observance and penance, or expiation, though in the later period there is a tendency to concentrate on what looks more today, in the west, like law.
- I'm doing my duty and my penance now, but I'll always be a woman who loves a good show.
- On the minus side, being presented with such an array of dishes almost always results in the type of culinary blow-out which requires hours of penance in the gym afterwards.
verb[with object] archaic Back to top
Impose a penance on: the Bishop penanced him severely for his conduct
More example sentences
- For instance, if in an emotional dream you injured someone intentionally, you could perform a simple penance the next day to atone, such as fasting one meal.
- They confess sins, do penance and engage in bhakti and karma yoga to raise consciousness.
Words that rhyme with penanceadamance • ordinance
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan