- A curved triangle of vaulting formed by the intersection of a dome with its supporting arches.More example sentences
- Each storey is articulated by a balcony, projecting on a system of stalactite pendentives - this feature appearing for the first time in India and no doubt imported from classical Islamic construction.
- The spaces are called spandrels - or pendentives, but the more general architectural term is spandrels.
- His most important commission was for the apse and the pendentives beneath the cupola in; the dome was commissioned from his great rival, the Baroque painter.
early 18th century: from the French adjective pendentif, -ive, from Latin pendent- 'hanging down', from the verb pendere.
More definitions of pendentiveDefinition of pendentive in:
- The US English dictionary