- 1Awaiting decision or settlement: nine cases were still pendingMore example sentences
unresolved, undecided, unsettled, unconcluded, uncertain, awaiting decision, awaiting action, undetermined, (still) open, hanging fire, (up) in the air, in limbo, in the balance, on ice, in reserve, in abeyance, ongoing, awaiting attention, outstanding, to be done, undone, not done, unattended to, unfinished, incomplete, left, remaining• informal on the back burner
- The Archbishop did not reveal if further settlements were pending.
- Wait until after the opposition has passed later on Wednesday before making a final decision on a pending matter.
- The rise is also due to the settlement of several pending claims, said a senior official.
- 1.1About to happen; imminent: the pending lay-off of fifty staffMore example sentences
- Some members of Congress are bracing for what they say is a pending man-made financial disaster.
- And he says there is a pending ecological disaster as the weed smothers river life.
- The upside is that having a plan actually makes my life less stressful even when there are no pending disasters.
prepositionBack to top
- Until (something) happens: they were released on bail pending an appealMore example sentences
- He was jailed for two months, but was released on bail pending his appeal.
- He served six weeks before he was granted bail pending an appeal.
- The editor and the publisher have pleaded not guilty and were released on bail pending a hearing in May.
mid 17th century: anglicized spelling of French pendant 'hanging'.