- 1Able to make a way through or into something: the problem of penetrating dampMore example sentences
- Nor is it contended that it results from rising damp or penetrating damp.
- He has a low, soulful voice with penetrating anger and smarts.
- I rushed into the living room to see poor Graham getting well and truly damp in a fine, penetrating rain.
- 1.1(Of a sound) clearly heard through or above other sounds: her scream was sudden and penetratingMore example sentences
- Tim sat upright at the penetrating noise and flipped in his hammock.
- In an instant, he is there once more, with his familiar, intense, penetrating, braying sound.
- Its penetrating tone could carry far and rise above the fracas.
- 1.2(Of a person’s eyes or expression) reflecting an apparent ability to see into another’s mind; intense: her penetrating gazeMore example sentences
- Her penetrating eyes moved to the two siblings, who apparently caught some hidden meaning that Evelyn didn't at watching the elder's haunting gaze.
- They tend to feel warm, have somewhat oily skin, penetrating eyes, and sharp features.
- He was immediately distinguished by his diminutive figure, extremely long white beard, and dark, penetrating eyes.
- 1.3Having or showing clear insight: the students asked some penetrating questionsMore example sentences
perceptive, insightful, keen, sharp, sharp-witted, quick-witted, intelligent, clever, smart, incisive, piercing, knife-like, razor-edged, trenchant, astute, shrewd, subtle, quick, ready, clear, acute, discriminating, percipient, perspicacious, discerning, sensitive, thoughtful, penetrative, deep, profoundNorth American • informal whip-smartenquiring, searching, sharp, incisive, probing, deep, inquisitive, analytic, in-depth
- It is not a pedagogical treatise, it is the reflections of an artist upon art in aphorisms of penetrating insight, ready wit, and profound wisdom.
- Instead, he is most often regarded as a man of penetrating insight.
- Note the dramatic narrative and implicit autobiography that emerge from this penetrating insight.
- More example sentences
- he asked again, his eyes gazing penetratingly at the fair-skinned girl with an oval face, her hair cut short to reveal the nape of her neck.
- I realize I am helpless in the face of such penetratingly gauche cluelessness, and thus, I do the only thing I can do.
- Because, believe me, the nights up here get penetratingly cold.